May 14th, 2005 Vienna, Austria
Today is a day to explore Vienna. Ate a quick breakfast at the Contiki Hotel. Which was great.
- Ate lunch at a fast food fish place in Central Vienna. I had a smoked salmon sandwich.
- Ate dinner at Rieglerhutte Family Restaurant and it was delcious.
- After driving into Vienna, we saw some historical sites and then were given a few hours of free time.
- We hit an internet café and did some emails.
- We had a organized tour of the main area of Vienna and it was very cool.
- Vienna is a beautiful city and has a great atmosphere. It has a great blend of old and new and a lot of open space. The people are very nice too!
- The weather was beautiful.
- Language was not a problem was most people spoke English.
Frans Joseph’s Palace
- We visited Frans Joseph’s Palace in Vienna. It was beautiful! It was much smaller than the other palaces but it’s by far the most magnificent.
- It featured beautiful room with gold trim everywhere. The highlight was the ballroom which was very grand and exquisite. I can just imagine some of the sweet parties held there. :)
- In addition to the palace, we walked around the palace gardens. It was very cool!
- We had a schnapps history and tasting event and it was great. An Austrian man named Gary gave us a tour and explained how all of the schnapps were made.
- We had an opportunity to taste a few of the schnapps. I tried the following schnapps:
- Strawberry (Milk) Schnapps
- Vienna Blood Mix Schnapps
- Cherry Wiskey
- Apricot Schnapps
- Gold Schnapps
- Sips of a few others
Vienna Blood Drink Mix:
- Orange Juice
- Grapefruit Juice
- Lemon or Lime
- Crushed Ice
- Vienna Blood Schnapps
After that we went back to the hotel, swam in the nice pool there. Had a racquetball tournament. Then went to hotel bar for happy hour, then had dinner in the restaurant.
That evening all the Canadians watched the hockey game on tv in the lobby of Canada vs Czech republic. Unfortuantely Canada lost 3 – 0!!